Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ripping on Ed Reform

Tragically, it is that time of year again.  It starts out so light and fun and ends with a last breath.  


I live a mile from the right edge of our continent.  Always, in early summer, the Atlantic Ocean manages to quickly claim the lives of several people, regardless of age, gender or race.  The ocean does not seek to extinguish life, it is, in fact, simply behaving as oceans will.  The ocean's force known as Rip Tides or Rip Currents (rips) is easy to contend with - but the human ability to remain resolute and stubborn lends itself quickly to the victim's demise. 


A rip is defined as a strong, narrow seaward flow of water that begins close to shore and extends through the surf zone and sometimes seaward of the breaking waves. They are normally fairly narrow.  A huge one would only measure half of a football field.  Ubiquitous PSA's, signs, and videos instruct that when one finds oneself in a rip, he or she is to turn parallel to the beach and swim until out of it (again, at most 50 yards, usually more like 10).  At that point the swimmer can turn and make it safely back to shore.  


In a rip, a person feels themselves being carried out as if on a river, eyes locked on a quickly diminishing shore.  Panic overrides education and he or she begins to "dig in" and attempt to swim harder than ever before.  The swimmer becomes more frantic as his or her concentrated efforts do not bring him or her closer to the destination.  In fact, the tiring swimmer finds him or herself further out to sea, watching the folks on the beach become smaller with each stroke.  Finally, exhaustion claims another beach goer and the headlines report another drowning.


So, the question I ask myself every morning as I check my metaphorical waters is, "Where in my life am I trying to swim against the rip?  Where do I need to turn and swim parallel for a while - until such time that I can reconnect with my shore; my safe haven?"  


Currently, there is much in Education, especially that which is called "reform" that can feel like a strong, wide rip that has the potential to quickly take us away from all that we love about teaching and learning.  Swimming parallel, for me, means  going a bit rogue, becoming more autodidactic, and participating in every opportunity I have to connect with those who honor our most honorable profession.


This week, that means attending Edcamp Leadership, an unconference, where I will share conversations; meet folks from my learning network; reflect on the craft we love; and generally be inspired by the stories of remarkable educational leaders.  Swimming parallel so that we can reach our shore - creating learning spaces in which our students can thrive, grow and acquire the skills necessary for a global work force.










No comments:

Post a Comment